The days where vegetarians were served leaves and salads are long gone. With the kind of variety available in the market today, following a vegetarian diet is extremely easy, not to mention healthy. Especially in a country like India, where so many delightful vegetarian options are available on a daily basis. Many restaurants are pure vegetarian and have been rated as the top dining places.
Let’s look at some of the reasons to go vegetarian.
1. The most common of all… A vegetarian diet reduces the risk of heart diseases and cholesterol because ditching meat automatically reduces the amount of saturated fats in your diet. This improves the overall condition of your heart.
2. An American Diabetes Association study states that vegetarians have a lower risk of being diagnosed with diabetes as vegetarian food keeps the blood pressure and blood sugar levels in check.
3. Even though studies have proved that a vegetarian diet helps reduce weight, we don’t need the proof. It is common knowledge that eating a healthy portion of veggies increases energy and improves metabolism which assists us in reducing that waistline. And let’s face it, we could all use some of that!
4. Fruits, vegetables and whole grains are loaded with anti-oxidants that delay wrinkles, spots and other signs of aging.
5. Many people justify that meat has more protein and provides vital nutrients that vegetables lack. This is a lie. Vegetables, fruits and grains provide more than enough nutrition to support a healthy lifestyle, not to mention it is a kinder way to gain nutrition and stops cruelty towards animals.
6. A recent UN report states that eating meat is one of the biggest cause of
environmental distress. It causes 40% more green-house gas emission than cars, trucks, ships and planes combined!
7. There is evidence that vegetarians have a lower rate of being diagnosed with cancer. Fruits and vegetables are strongly associated with avoiding certain types of cancers.
8. Flesh food can carry contaminants that an imbalance your metabolic system and cause harmful side effects. Not to mention the bacteria, viruses and parasites that cause diseases.
9. Vegetarian food is any day more economical. Not only when ordering at a restaurant but also because it is a healthier option and you won’t have to visit the doctor often. Vegetarian food is also easier to digest so you can save on those hard-core gyms.
10. The variety available in vegetarian food is unbelievable! There are so many options that getting bored is not even an option. With all the Indian spices enriching the flavour even more, it is just too good to miss out on!
Veg food is taking the world by a storm, so much so that people in staunch non-vegetarian countries like the USA are choosing a vegetarian option over meat.
Tell us what your favorite thing is about a Vegetarian Meal.